Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who Am I?

I am one who is sharing the same fate as Jiang Ziya; who will also achieve his destiny.

For my destiny is written in the commentary of Confucius on the I Ching's "Fourth Nine, Yao Text" of the First Hexagram "Qian": -

Firmness is doubled and not central.
It is not in the position referring to Heaven above,
Nor at the place relating to the ground below,
Nor at the post associated with humans in the middle.
Then it is in perplexity.
And being so, it hesitates to make a decision.
No fault can be made.

The superior person is in harmony:
In virtue, with Heaven and Earth;
In brightness, with the sun and the moon;
In orderly procedure, with the four seasons;
In good fortune and bad fortune, with the gods and spirits.
He may precede Heaven, but not oppose the principles of Heaven.
He may follow Heaven by aligning with the timing of Heaven.
If Heaven will not act in opposition to him, How much less will men?
And how much less will gods and spirits?

The word haughty indicates
Knowing to advance but not to retreat,
Knowing to maintain existence but not to let perish,
And knowing to gain but not to lose.

It is only the holy person who knows
When to advance and when to retreat,
And how to maintain existence and how to let perish,
And does not lose appropriateness,
The holy person alone can do this!

(The Complete I Ching, The Definitive Translation by the Taoist Master Alfred Huang, page 37.)


The Paradox of My Life

I have more than 15 years stockbroking experience, managed 600 people and turned in millions of dollars of profit per annum for my former employers, yet I am still awaiting for a good employer to work for.

I have a doctorate in business administration, and am technically competent; many seek my advice, yet few follow them.

I have worked hard with professionalism and integrity, yet such virtues are not known nor well appreciated.

For a boy who could not afford school textbooks nor the fees to attend university, I am rich. For a man who can stand amongst the rich, I am very poor indeed.

For a man in his forties, I have more drive than a young man in his 20s, embarking on a new career.

To some, I am very successful; to others, I am a failure. To me, I am at the foot of Mount Everest, about to make the journey of my life towards success beyond my wildest dreams.

Who am I? I am the Sleeping Dragon, awaiting and preparing for his destiny.

For the I Ching has spoken,

He may precede Heaven, but not oppose the principles of Heaven.
He may follow Heaven by aligning with the timing of Heaven.
If Heaven will not act in opposition to him, How much less will men?
And how much less will gods and spirits?

So it is written, so shall it be done.

Best wishes,

Ooi

"We will either find a way, or make one." (Hannibal)

4 comments:

Victor Liew said...

Way to go man... OUR time nigh

rajabrooke said...

victor-what false hopes you dream

Victor Liew said...

Jothi - I'm taking action... but is the sitting Buddha going to levitate? :-)

Praesciens said...

Dear Friends,

Hahaha. I like the last comment on the levitation of the Sitting Buddha.

Let's find a way, or make one! I wish both of you and everyone reading this blog great success.

Success will not necessarily come to those who seek it, not necessarily even to those who work hard to achieve it.

BUT, only those who seek it, and those who work hard towards it, have any chance to achieve success.

Even an intellectual like Edward De Bono have written in his book, "Tactics - The Art & Science of Success", that luck plays a 30% role in success. It is an interesting book that can no longer be bought because it is no longer in print.

One of the factors discussed is the choosing of a particular area or field to be successful in. Here, the question of fishing in a pond full of fish, and one without much fish was discussed. We need to choose our field for success wisely.

Best wishes,

Ooi